Saturday, January 20, 2024

Pro Gram? Anti Gram? Just Get Paid a Gram. I'm Your Gram Paw!

 

I don’t blink with my fossil eyes.  That wood causes a lot of people to take me for granite.  You do, you Low Mights!   I know I can’t predict the future, but with attempting to correct those thoughts you have, I should at least be admitted to the past.  Say, how about that guy that got elected to the steering committee?  He is really a steer.  And someone else stores while he stirred because of those stirrups. It happens over and over again.  I just snore. 

I want to do something.  I’ll go back to RPG.  My Role in Playing this Game is Programming a computer to Generate various Reports.  I will just Buy Nary anything until I get hired to program for a company in Binary.  My non computer friends, and they only call themselves my friends, I see and hear too much reality to do that, anyway, those so called Friends, in public say, “He proved it was a Hex.” They say that when I am programming the stuff that corrects their factory work.   And I’m the one that programmed in the language, Hexadecimal.  Them people don’t realize that I deal with proof all the time.  I need proof and my work has proof.  They only make certain they drink proof.  And during their whole lives and their whole lies, they are the ones that are Dealing.  Shuffling.  Cutting more than just Cards.  They sure like to cut my cards, but they don’t realize, when they are cutting up my work, those computer cards need to be read by the computers, and not red with blood.  Then, because more of other people like me, and that’s part of why some certain people like me, more of those people like me work in COBOL, and those outsiders say we are Cancerous with our Cobalt.  Life sure is changing by its BASIC programming. To those ‘friends’ of mine, I sure am the Key Bored.  I am their star.  I am the Ignore Us Born for Real Use. 

Awe!  Come On!   “I am too old and too fat to volunteer to do that!”

There, I said it, I don’t care about the outcome.  Here I am, in my early sixties.  I’ve worked in technology all my life.  One manufacturer still runs a program of mine, a program I wrote twenty years ago, that automatically expedites work stations in the factory based on timing noted by changes in drawings that the Cad Cam people made in drafting.  At another company, ten years ago, I wrote an in house email system when that catalog biased clothing store put all sales equipment on an in house network.  Just recently I took an existing accounting system and cut their end of month processing down from three days to half an hour because I looked at and corrected their existing code.  I looked at the code.  I looked at the logs, for five years the end of month jobs ran for three days, and I corrected the left open files and added indexes and stuff like that, and now it runs correctly in half an hour. 

               But I got let go because I did not keep up with technology.  Did not keep up with technology?  That expediting system is still running.  I know because I still know people in the factory and they still depend on it.  When the catalog company changed to a new system, I learned it so I could write that email system so those communications can stay safely within the company.  And I was not that idiot owner who wrote that end of month processing system five years ago.  I looked at it and corrected it.  “There is nothing wrong with it.  There is nothing to correct.”  That’s what he told me.  So why are they still using my corrections?

               You want it on an app.  Well just let me do it.  Sure, I have not programmed “APPs” before.  A program is a program.  You just need a little thought.  You just need a plan.  But no!  You have to send everything off shore now.  “It is done at one fourth the cost.”  No, I just try to reply, “It is done at one fourth the price.  But you have to keep sending it back ten times because it is not working.  When you finally get something that barely works.  Who cares if it rounds the taxes to the nearest dollar.  Who cares if it stops twenty times to ask the operator for the names and addresses and dates that are already in the database.  Who cares if it mixes up the area codes.  Don’t you idiots see that you got a piece of crap software and that “One Fourth” the price times those ten or so times you need to send it back and have it redone ends up at “Two and a half times more THE COST.”

               But I am not young enough.  I am not cheap enough.  And I live in this country so I get terminated and cannot find another job in my chosen, experienced career path.  So, what do I do.  I go to the corner drug store and get a job as a cashier.  And since the corner drug is a small, one room, end of block facility that only has one person working at a time, not only do I have to check out the customers, I get to make the deli sandwiches, stock the shelves, mop the floors, and get robbed when I am stuck working the night shift.

               So, Friday night, at the end of my evening shift, after the night clerk came in, the boss walks in.  He just noticed that some of the lights on the store’s sign are out.  Gee, we’ve been telling him about it for the past two weeks.  I guess he can only believe things he sees himself.  Good old George.  He asked me, that since I was off shift, would I “volunteer” to climb up onto the roof, hang over the side of the building, and change the burned-out lights.  I asked him, “What do you mean by ‘volunteer’?”  He said, “Just climb up there and do it.”  Then I asked, “And what do you mean by ‘off shift’?”  He replied sternly, “We’re all in this together.  Before you drive off, help all of us and change those lights!”  And I asked, “Do I get paid for this?”  He said, “No, you are ‘off shift’.”  I asked, “Why should I?”  He continued, “Aw, come on.  I got to go to the bank, then I got to do the books for the week.  I wasn’t even on the schedule for right now.  And Tom here can’t leave the cash register.  What if a customer comes in?”  Now this damn boss, actually he owns the business, is in his forties and doesn’t have any health problems.  I got problems with my feet and my back.  I’m not a physical laborer.  I might throw my neck out or fall or something.  Do it on my own time?  It’s his business, not mine.  I only get minimum wages. Why should I do it?       



                                              Did you like reading this?                                                                                                                              I have more stuff I had WRITTEN

No comments:

Post a Comment